Health benefits of apple
- Apples are low in calories. They contain no saturated fats or cholesterol.
- Apple fruit is rich in dietary fibre, which helps prevent absorption of dietary-LDL or bad cholesterol in the gut.
- The fibre in apple fruit also saves the colon mucous membrane from exposure to toxic substances by binding to cancer-causing chemicals inside the colon.
- Apple fruit contains good quantities of vitamin-C and beta-carotene. Vitamin C is a powerful natural antioxidant.
- Consumption of foods rich in vitamin C (like apple fruit) helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful, pro-inflammatory free radicals from the body.
- Apple fruit is a good source of B-complex vitamins such as riboflavin, thiamine, and pyridoxine (vitamin B-6). Together, these vitamins help as co-factors for enzymes in metabolism as well as in various synthetic functions inside the human body.
- Apples also carry a small amount of minerals like potassium, phosphorus, and calcium. Potassium, an important component of cell and body fluids, helps to control heart rate and blood pressure; thus, countering the bad influences of sodium.