PREVENTING FIRE IN THE KITCHEN
The kitchen is the place where a fire is most likely to occur. It is where the oven, the microwave, gas cookers and electric cookers are found and if these are in use and left unattended, a fire could result.
Here are a few tips on how to prevent fire in the kitchen.
- Always pay attention to what’s cooking. There is a tendency to forget that there is something on the fire, do not leave the kitchen. If you must, the stove should be turned off.
- Do not leave the house while cooking.
- Kids who are not of age should not be around the cooking area.
- Keep flammable materials away from the stove.
- There is every tendency for grease to build up on cooking surfaces. This can serve as fuel for fires, so always keep cooking surfaces clean.
- Always remember to check the kitchen before going to bed. Check to see if the oven, stove, microwave or gas is still on.
- Always have a fire extinguisher around the house, most especially, in the kitchen.